The Center for Public Integrity is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) agency committed to independent investigative journalism. All donations solicited on behalf of The Center shall be used to further our mission.
The Center is committed to respecting the privacy of our donors. We have developed this policy to assure them that donor contact information will not be shared with any third party. The Center maintains the highest level of integrity and respect for the privacy of our donors. We seek to ensure that donors have trust and confidence in our practices.
This policy applies to all information received by the Center, both online and offline, on any platform, as well as electronic, written or oral communications.
The Center for Public Integrity collects and maintains the following type of donor information:
- Contact Information: name, address, telephone number, email address
- Giving History: gift amount, date, any gift restrictions requested by the donor
- Information on events attended, publications received, any special requests for program information
All information is confidential and kept on file for IRS purposes. Information is also used to analyze giving patterns in order to make accurate budget projections. Credit card numbers are used only for donation or payment processing and are not retained for other purposes.
The Center for Public Integrity will use confidential donor information for the following purposes:
- Distributing donation receipts
- Sending thank you letters to donors
- Informing donors of Public Integrity news and events
- Internal analysis and record keeping
- Contacting donors about changes in policy
Use and Disclosure of your Personal Information:
- We will not sell, share or trade your personal information with other entities without your permission.
- We will not send you mailings on behalf of other organizations.
- We may collect your name, email address, telephone number and payment information when you make a contribution, either on our website, over the phone, at an event or by mailing in a check
- To the extent any donations are processed through a third-party service provider, our donors’ information will only be used for purposes necessary to process the donation.
- We will use the personal information to protect against potential fraud. We may verify with third parties the information collected in the course of processing a gift.
- We publicly recognize donors by publishing names in our Annual Report, on our website and in other publications, unless a donor explicitly requests to remain anonymous. Donors may contact us to request that they not be included in such publications.
Security and enforcement
Last updated on: January 5, 2016